Friday 4 March 2011

Day two rail trail

Martyn moaned that his bum hurt this morning. I kept quiet about mine which does not yet seem to be as bad as I had thought it might be - at least I am still glad I did not pay out for the gel set cover! (I can hear mother now - where there's no sense there's no feeling!)

Had lovely breakfast and natter with owner of the Black Hotel in Ophir and set off. Vert surprised by how fast we went without the headwind of yesterday!

One curving bridge, two tunnels and a 37m high viaduct (which I had to cycle in the middle of so as not to look over the edge or down the gaps between the planks!) and we made it to Hayes Engineering - home of the famous wire strainer ! Which made a very good ice cream stop. A bit further on to lunch pursue Gilchrists store in Oterahua. Then the big climb over 45 degrees south latitude to the summit of our cycle ride at 618m (Claire and Ian are in fits if laughter again - I know they are!) and weeeeee someone fitted rockets to our bikes - downhill all the way to Wedderburn - very nice!

Here is my wire sieve (strainer!) I will post proof of making it to the top in a mo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, they may take some time to appear as they are checked first before they are published 8-)