Thursday 3 March 2011

Day one rail trail

Just how stupid am I? Actually the reason for asking this has nothing to do with the cycling part of the rail trail I have just had another mental issue that Martyn says I have to tell you about. Oh the humiliation of what I am about to reveal.

But first - left Andy and Christys at about 7.45 am (ugh) but only had to wait at bottom of drive for bus to pick us up. After a 4hr ish drive which basically followed the route we are cycling (yes we did wonder whether or not we needed to bother with cycling back) we made it to Clyde and the start of the trail. Sorted bikes and decided not to pay 35bucks for gel seat cover (may regret this tomorrow but ok so far)

Averages 17km/hr from Clyde to Alexandra and then hit the headwind and the crosswinds on the Galloway plains. Even the Kiwi bloke we met (who cycles this bit twice a week as part of his training programme said it was diabolical so I didn't feel so bad then). And there was a big long haul up a 1 in 50 to the top of Tiger Hill as well. Combination of wind and hill slowed me from 17 to 7 ish km/hr. Bummer.

Still plenty of places to stop and admire the views (which we forgot to take blog piccies of - will rectify tomorrow) so it wasn't too bad. 36km and about 4.5 hrs of cycling later we made it to Omekau, another 2km got us to Ophir, stretch, wash, groan, stretch, dinner, 3km walk to bridge and bed!

At dinner we reviewed the things we will see tomorrow, one of which is the Hayes Engineering Works (oh joy but apparently a bit of a farming gadgetry legend). In particular they are famous for the Hayes wire strainer which is still in use in most farms throughout NZ apparently. I had a lightbulb moment at dinner. I had been trying to work out why / how you strain (as in sieve) wire. I really must have left my Physics brain somewhere! Martyn was in fits! I get it now. Strain = tension. Just how stupid am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, they may take some time to appear as they are checked first before they are published 8-)