Saturday 26 March 2011

Aussie Days Out

SO, been a bit busy since the last posting - sorry about that!


(sunrise over Sydney, viewed from Paramatta)

Have done the Grand Pacific Drive stopping at Wollongong and Kiama. Also went to Illawarra tree top walk which was very nice. It had two cantilevered lookouts which were fine and then a large tower which went up 30m from the 15m high platform. This was fine except it was a spiral metal staircase around a single pole with just the one bannister on the outside. I made it two spirals up no problem but then my brain kicked in and went 'what on earth are you doing you crazy woman'. Knees buckled. 'B****y H**l its higher than I thought' I mumbled to myself. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) turning around on a narrow spiral staircase with very little protection when the wind has just started to pick up and the tower is swaying is not all that easy so I opted for carrying on up. Made it to the top. Martyn has funny photo of me gripping on to bannister on the outside of the viewing platform - quite why I didn't stay in the middle near the tower I'll never know but I figured I'd made it up that far so I might as well walk to the edge! Strangely I didn't stay up there all that long.



 
Thought of you when up there though Dad! :-)

The views were honestly stunning (when I managed to open my eyes!)

Next day went to Art Gallery of New South Wales as the weather had clouded over a bit and there was a landscape photography exhibit on. Photos from 1970s onwards. Most of which we didn't like. I kept saying 'but they were taken on film and there was no tweaking' but the boys still thought they could do better..........I quite liked one or two of the blurry ones - it made me think there was potential for some of my piccies, all I have to do is say 'I meant it to be like that'........Then off to the cinema to see The Adjustment Bureau which was quite good actually.




Grey and only 23 degrees here today - had to find my jeans which is a bit much really so we opted for the Powerhouse Museum of science and design which set Martyn reminiscing as it had a big 'Remember the 80s' exhibit on. He had a little play on the pacman machine and the Commodore 64 bought back some memories as well. I won however as I got the pop quiz question on who sang the theme tune to Neverending Story right - strike one for me. I'm making the most of this as I never get the pop quiz sections. I did however lose a race against a robot - but only because the counting was rigged.

Noticed yesterday that some of the leaves on the trees here are just starting to turn autumnal colours so its time for us to be moving on. Said goodbye to more friends, gosh that was hard. Off to Bangkok tomorrow. Read that Cambodia is 40 degrees and humid in April - excellent, not sure my planning worked well there but hey ho we'll survive. Might be no blogs for a view days as we get back into the swing of not knowing the language, ordering food from pictures and transporting our bags on foot. Oh it has been lovely to have an actual apartment with our own kitchen and a bath the size of a swimming pool (which I haven't even remembered to make time to use) Methinks our remaining rooms will probably be about the size of our current bathroom.

I think I have managed to run off some of my ice cream consumption calories in the gym this week. I'm hoping I can sweat the rest off in Asia.

Ho hum, have had a lovely time in Oz but as Martyn says everytime we move on....'Next bit....'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, they may take some time to appear as they are checked first before they are published 8-)