Friday 3 June 2011

Karaoke

It’s a good job I can type this in because I am absolutely speechless. There are not words to describe it but it true blogger fashion I will do my best. Your imaginations can add in the rest and might just get to something half as good as the reality.

Needless to say I didn’t need my ear plugs. Lucy (group member) was really quite good and she was the opening act. As the evening progressed some of the other people who were trying to use the bar might have needed ear plugs but we were so loud by then they just left. They obviously didn’t know true talent when they were witness to it.

I think the talent show on the boat cruise must have been the warm up. Our whole group renditions of Robbie’s Angels and Bohemian Rhapsody were to die for. The Australian Explore group who arrived, stayed and started adding to the list of songs on the play list (which we had to sing as they were too chicken) loved the Rick Astleys ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’ that Martyn and I managed (oh, did I mention that we performed as well…….) Our ‘Pretty Woman’ was also received with much applause and the whole group ‘Uptown Girl’ would have made Billy Joel so proud. Bon Jovi will never perform Living on  Prayer as well as we can!

And then someone picked some tunes that to be quite honest are more suitable to dancing to than singing to but by then we were well warmed up and we knew our Macarena on the cruise ship had been applauded so we were full of confidence. Dancing Queen saw Lucy and I duet with a small number of ad libbed dance moves. Twist n Shout saw us give up on Karaoke but Twist n Shout with the Australians on the small stage. They were quite impressed with how low I could twist (so was I given the number of steps on the Great Wall!). Anthony and Martyn then took to the mikes for Stayin’ Alive whilst Lucy, Collette and I performed as a backing dance trio.

But the absolute star of the show, the winner of the next 10 Pop Idols and Britains Got Talent is most definitely Martyn. His rendition of Rubber Duckie by Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street. I’ll just pause here to let that sink in.

Have you finished laughing yet?

I think it was a one time only event but don’t panic – I’ve got video. It was out of this world.

I tell you, two 500 ml bottles of mineral water and a basket of popcorn can really make you lose your inhibitions.

What a finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, they may take some time to appear as they are checked first before they are published 8-)