Wednesday 25 May 2011

Gangsta Monkeys

Each evening as we write this, it has pretty much got slightly colder and wetter. Last night we had quite heavy rain, and awoke to a misty sky. Our guide suggested an alternative route for our mountain (hill) walk, which involved slightly less bus riding and more walking (including 1185 steps apparently) according to Kay’s counting – I gave up as we were 6 steps out by the time we reached 400!

The 1185 steps were the last ones up to the temple where we are staying tonight. They came after the 4.5 hours of walking, including ‘thousands’ more steps we had already done. Fun though – well we enjoyed it, not quite sure our group did but we all made it here!

Got here via Wannian temple, lunch, another smaller temple and a nunnary. Oh and also via ‘monkey road’ – had to pack all our stuff inside our bags for this bit, not allowed to take anything out our bags or pockets for two hours as the Tibetan Maaques are very wily and try to get at food and drink. Our guide said most of them are okay, but some of them are ‘gangsta monkeys’!

Up Emei Shan mountain we progressed. Several years ago it was designated one of the 4 sacred mountains in China. This one being ‘Good Luck’, the others Longevity, Wisdom and Good Health.

Currently sat in bed in temple where we are staying at the top – Electric blanket is on maximum power. I am wearing all the clothes I have with me (including hat, but not gloves as they are not typing compatible). We are only at about the same height as Snowdon but it is a tad chilly. The others who have been in China with us a week from the UK say it is just like at home, and are in fleeces only. I am freezing! I do so love acclimatizing. Very glad we have lugged our warm clothes around for 4 months, as we nearly sent them home after Chile.

Ho hum, only have to go back down 185 steps to get dinner then back up again to electric blanket! – yum.

Have watched afternoon Monk chanting – didn’t think we’d make the 5am session – thanks.

Better go, I need to use the bathroom, and they are ‘interesting’ even for me. Hole in the ground, no door, no curtain, just a concrete wall to make a cubical and all of them face the entrance. I don’t think I’ll be having a drink with my dinner tonight! – still If I time it right, I might get the loos’ to myself.

Strangely, we all skipped the showers as well in favour of a wet-wipe. I finished with girls changing room showers a long time ago, and its also not quite warm enough to get wet!- Having washed my hair in the hotel in freezing water this morning (no hot water for some reason) I am chickening out!

Bright side is that apparently the pancakes for breakfast are divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, they may take some time to appear as they are checked first before they are published 8-)